Golden Princess Lilies

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Singing In The Rain

Back when I worked in a company where the first floor lobby was closed down to visitors as well as other employee, I occasionally would take a short ‘day trip’ in the elevator that fronted on the closed first floor lobby.
I did this at times when I was feeling particularly stressed out.

This sounds a bit strange, doesn’t it? There was a ‘reason’ behind my madness.
I knew that the elevator in this particular building would open to an empty lobby.
No other employees would be mulling around in the lobby. Ditto for visitors; not a soul would be around to hear me, as I would burst into song in the elevator as it traveled from the second floor to the first floor.
Not a single soul would hear me, as I exercised my vocal cords.
La, la, la,

I'm singing in the rain
Just singing in the rain
What a glorious feelin'
I'm happy again


Singing In The Rain’ was one of my favorite songs to sing in that elevator as it gently cruised down to my destination; which was the first floor.

I'm laughing at clouds
So dark up above
The sun's in my heart
And I'm ready for love


I’m singing in the rain, singing in the rain, what a GLORIOUS day, singing in the rain. The elevator door would open on the first floor; I would look around…
Good, not a soul in sight; no one heard me!
Now push that button and back upstairs I go…

Let the stormy clouds chase
Everyone from the place
Come on with the rain
I've a smile on my face
I walk down the lane
With a happy refrain
Just singin’ singin’ in the rain,


la la la, I’m HAPPY again!

By the time I got back to the second floor and the elevator door would open, all my feelings of pent up stress would be gone!

I really was ‘HAPPY’ again.

Singing in the elevator was ‘my key’ so I could return to my desk and my job, and have a productive workday.

Today I sing in the shower when I am feeling a level of stress. Singing in the shower works just as well as singing in an empty elevator that opens onto an empty lobby.

Singing in the rain, what a GLORIOUS feeling!

While you sing along with me just imagine Gene Kelly doing his tap, tap, tappity tap dance as you sing…

Carol Garnier Dutra

I'm just having a silly memory day; singing, singing in the rain.

Events in this short story came from my life.
Copyright © 2010 by Carol Garnier Dutra



.